I’m studying for my Writing class and need an explanation.
In recent classes we examined a variety of music and focused on several basic concepts that helped to link the works and also show their unique qualities. For this music hunt assignment you are asked to do the following:
1) Find a song or video that you feel has the following characteristics:
- a) Contains music that is a version of one of the jazz songs examined in this course and from your textbook reading this week: specifically look for “Billie’s Blues”, “Take the ‘A’ Train”, or “Afro Blue” versions that are NOT the versions examined in class readings. Specifically, you are looking for a version of the tune you choose that is NOT by these artists: not Billie Holiday for “Billie’s Blues”, not Duke Ellington for “Take the A Train”, or not Mongo Santamaria for “Afro Blue” or not Robert Glasper (with Erikah Badu) for “Afro Blue”.
- b) Carefully consider if the new version that you found is still jazz, or if it is no longer jazz even though it is a version of a jazz tune (listed above), and why.
2) Give the brief “facts” of both works (your choice and one of the class songs): Title, Composer(s), Performers (artists or band name), Length of song, Record label, year of first release by this artist, etc…
3) Give a comparative analysis of your song choice with the one corresponding song examined in your classwork and readings this week. Then, in your own words, describe how they both compare to one another and how your choice is a good match for the assignment requirements. Remember, research on the style of music you are submitting, its origins, relationships to other music (and the important features of assigned songs), and important information should be included in your analysis. Also, you must demonstrate that you’ve researched details, related to your reading and listening assignments, in your writings in order to get full credit for your work. (Cite your sources.) Be sure to focus on what makes it, or prevents it, from still being jazz.
4) And finally, include a URL to the location of the work so that the professor can watch/listen to the music for grading
Grading Rubric for this assignment:
- Timely submission – 2 points (late submission loses these points – after 2 weeks you can no longer submit the assignment or get credit for it)
- Song “facts” – 2 points (requirement 2 above lists these)
- Song description (analysis) – 5 points (requirements 1 & 3 above list these)
- Including a working URL link – 1 point (requirement 4 above lists this, make sure the link works)