Prescribed is Magnesium Sulfate 6 grams, to be infused in 30 minutes using an electronic device. Available is Magnesium sulfate 40 grams in 1 liter of sterile water for injection. At what rate should the electronic infusion device be set to administer the medication in the specified time?
2) A baby weighs 8 pounds and 4 ounces and is to be fed every three hours. She needs to be fed formula of 60 mL/kg/24 hours. How many milliliters should the baby receive for each feed?
3) Prescribed is Heparin 10,000 units/day. Available are vials containing Heparin 100,000 units, with a concentration of 20,000 units/mL. How long will one vial last?
4) 1 liter of IV fluid was started at 0220 today and is infusing at the correct rate of 90 mL/hr. It is now 0740, how should be left in the bag?
5) Prescribed is Ampicillin 2 gm in 100 mL of D5W to be infused by an infusion device over 20 minutes. The drop factor is 10, what is the rate of infusion?
6) Verapamil is ordered 120 mg po twice a day. The medication cart has Verapamil in 30 mg capsules. How many would you administer during your 8 hour shift?
7) The order is for 125 mg Aldomet to be given every 6 hours IVPB. The medicaiton is diluted in 100 mLs of 5% dextrose. Using a microdrip administration set, what is the flow rate to deliver the volume in 2 hours.
8) If an IV ran for 7 hours and 30 minutes, how much volume was given if you used a tubing with a drop factor of 15 and the flow rate was 80 mL/hr?
9) The patient is to receive heparin at 1500 units per hour. The IV contains 25,000 units in 250 mL of D5W. Find the rate in mL/hr.
10) An IV mixture is labeled 225 mg/ 250 mL. The healthcare provider prescribes 3 mcg/kg/min for a 50 kg patient. What is the flow rate is a microdrip tubing administration set is used?