This is a paper that is focusing on the selection and research of a historical individual essay. The paper also provides additional requirements to follow in writing the paper.
The selection and research of a historical individual essay
Assignment: Select an individual from the list provided by your instructor, and write a research essay.
1. Firstly, to learn more about a specific historical individual.
2. Secondly, to improve research and writing skills.
3. Thirdly, to learn to think and write like a historian. Your paper should present a combination of historical fact and analysis (analysis is simply how and why the individual was significant and/or important). Report the facts about your topic while developing your own argument or opinion. Analyze the facts accordingly.
1. LENGTH: Your paper must be 5 full, typed pages (text), double-spaced, 12 pt font Times New Roman, with one inch margins. Maps, illustrations, etc. are in addition to the pages of text.
2. RESEARCH: Your paper must have a works cited page with a minimum of THREE solid sources. DO NOT USE your textbook, general encyclopedias or an on-line or CD encyclopedia (like Grolier, Wikipedia or Encarta) as a cited source in your paper. You should use both printed and online sources, BUT ONLY 1 OF YOUR SOURCES CAN BE FROM A WEBSITE! If you need help finding appropriate sources, do not hesitate to ask me and/or a reference librarian for help.
3. CITATIONS: You MUST include citations in the body of your paper to indicate the source of all the information you used from your research sources. A list of your sources on the Works Cited page IS NOT ENOUGH. See “Citation of Sources” below for more detailed instructions on citations. If you do not understand these instructions, ask me to explain them. You cannot receive above a C- (71) on a research paper that does not have citations. Document the sources of the information you use in the MLA format. If you do not understand what is meant by the MLA format, ask me to explain it. [If you prefer APA, Chicago, or Turabian you may use those styles as long as you are consistent.] Do not assume that the way you did a research paper in high school or another college or for another class is the right way. Let me know if you have any doubts or questions about doing citations.