Therapeutic Strategies for Non-malignant Leukocyte Disorders
Select one of the non-malignant leukocyte disorders from one of the two lists below.
Granulocyte & Monocyte Disorders
Chronic Granulomatous Disease
Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency
Using information from your textbook, lecture, and additional online research, compose a brief report on your selected disease that answers the following questions. (Try to answer each question in no more than 5 sentences.)
- What is the molecular defect that underlies this disease?
- What is the frequency of its occurrence in the world?
- Are there any particular susceptibility groups?
- What are the known genetic and/or environmental factors that increase susceptibility?
- What are the key clinical parameters used to diagnose this disease?
- What are the greatest clinical consequences (patient symptoms) of this disease?
- What is the general prognosis for patients with this disease?
- What are the current treatment options for this disease?
- At the end of your report provide a provocative open-ended question to which your classmates can respond.
- Include a list of all references used to answer the questions, and be sure to indicate the source of your answers by using “in-text” citations