For each functional area (both the human resources area and your additional chosen functional area), you will create a strategic alignment worksheet (SAW), developing different sections of both forms through successive course assessments. You will also create organizational charts for both functional areas. Note that you are expected to choose your second functional area in this assessment, and to continue to use that same functional area throughout the course.
To prepare for this assessment, complete the following:
- Select Functional Area:In addition to human resources functions, select one of the following functional areas to focus on:
o Sales and marketing.
o Operations and production.
o Accounting and finance.
- Download worksheets: Download the strategic alignment worksheets for your chosen functional area and for the human resources area. (The SAWs are linked in the Resources under the Required Resources heading.)
- View Videos:Watch the Presentation from the CEO video and the Atha Corporation: Planning video, both of which are linked in the Resources under the Required Resources heading. These videos introduce the Atha Corporation case study.
- Read Atha Corp Documents:Read the Executive Department Management Instructions and the Doubling Sales Memo, both of which are linked in the Resources under the Required Resources heading.
- Research Planning Processes: Conduct independent research to familiarize yourself with the process of developing organizational project goals and activities. You may find the materials listed in the Suggested Resources for this assessment helpful, or you may search for other resources.
Strategic Alignment Worksheets
Complete Section 1: Goals and Activities in the strategic alignment worksheet (SAW) for both functional areas. For this assessment, complete only Section 1 in each worksheet.
- Develop three new departmental goals (in addition to those provided in the worksheets).
- Identify activities that support achievement of each goal, and list the achievement deadline for completing each activity.
Write a 2–3-page reflection analyzing the work you just completed for your SAWs. In your reflection, address the following questions:
- Why is planning important to strategic management in a functional area? What are the risks of not planning?
- How is planning important to the achievement of organizational goals?
- For each of the functional areas you have addressed, analyze factors that define and shape management (such as the economy, customer needs and wants, and innovation). What is the relative influence of these factors (which of them have more impact than others)?
- What research did you use to support your work in arriving at the goals and activities? Use APA style and formatting to cite your sources.
- What current or past experience did you draw from for this assessment, if any?
Submit all three of the following as attachments to this assessment:
- Your SAW for the human resources area, with only Section 1 completed.
- Your SAW for the additional functional area you chose, with only Section 1 completed.